General Information About the Student Travel Fund

We are pleased to announce that as of September 2021, the School of the Arts is once again accepting applications for SOTA Student Travel Fund awards.

The University of Kansas School of the Arts provides travel funds to support the professional development of its students and to increase the visibility of its academic programs. Applicants should note that funding priority will be given to students who were selected to participate in professional programs, conferences and events on the basis of a peer review of their work (portfolio, audition tape, written proposal, etc.). Applicants may only receive funding once per fiscal year (July 1 - June 30). Applications are due the first day of the month, and must be for travel at least 30 days out. There are three options for student travel funding:

Option 1: Up to $3001 may be awarded to students who attend regional or national professional conferences directly related to their area of study. Students attending conferences as a group must still apply to Student Travel Fund individually. * Effective September 2021, students may also apply for Option 1 funding to support registration for virtual conferences, online masterclasses, or other remote participation in events related to their field of study.

Option 2: Up to $6001 may be awarded for the following activities:

  • 1. Support for students to participate in regional, national or international conferences where they are performing or presenting papers, workshops, poster sessions, or other work.
  • 2. Students invited to perform, present, or exhibit at other regional, national, or international venues related to their area of study.
  • 3. Students attending a national conference when serving as elected officers of a related regional or national organization.

Option 3: Up to $9001 may be awarded for travel expenses when studying in programs, organizations, and institutes beyond the KU campus leading to professional development in the arts. This component of the fund is highly competitive with a limited number of awards made each year. Travel for study might include:

  • 1. Travel within the United States to participate in master classes, workshops, or residencies as appropriate within the arts disciplines in the School of the Arts.
  • 2. Travel outside the United States in study abroad programs lead by KU faculty.


1Depends on available funding