What is this funding for?

This funding is to help students pay for professional development opportunities. There are three options available to students:

Option 1: up to $300 - travel to attend a professional conference. Students may also apply for Option 1 funding to cover the cost of registration for virtual conferences or online training relevant to their major.

Option 2: up to $600 - travel to present, preform, or exhibit.

Option 3: up to $900 - travel for study abroad or master class.

These are funding amounts for 2022-2023.

Who can apply?

Any graduate or undergraduate student who is currently pursuing a degree within the School of the Arts is eligible to apply.

What if I have a minor in the School of the Arts, but my major is in another area?

The fund is only available to those students are pursuing a degree within the School of the Arts. We appreciate your connection to the School but it is not recognized for travel eligibility at this time.

How often can I apply?

Students may apply and receive travel once per fiscal year. The fiscal year for the University runs from July 1 – June 30.

I have already used the travel fund this year but just learned that I have been accepted to present my work. Are there other resources available?

Check with your department, they may have some funding set aside. Also, check with the Center for Undergraduate Research. They have travel funding for just this purpose. Here is the link for more information http://www.ugresearch.ku.edu/student/fund/travel.

Graduate students can check with Graduate Studies for travel fund opportunities.

What information do I need to include with my application? What if I forget something?

This depends on which option you are applying for. Please refer to the checklist (.doc) for more information. If we do not receive all of your application materials by the deadline, your application will not be reviewed for funding.

Who makes the funding decisions?

The School of the Arts co-directors (Chairs of Theatre & Dance, Film & Media Studies, and Visual Art).

When should I apply?

As soon as you know your travel plans. Applications are considered on a rolling basis. That means you can apply any time, but availability of funds may be limited, so early submission is encouraged. Decisions on applications are ordinarily made within 3 weeks of submission, though response times may be delayed during holidays, school breaks, etc.

It is strongly recommended that you apply for a grant at least one month before your expected travel. In extraordinary circumstances, we will consider requests for support with less than one month notice, or after the travel is complete.

If I have been granted funding, who do I contact about reimbursement for my expenses?

Where do I submit my application materials?

Submit your application and all supporting materials in PDF format to hbial@ku.edu.

If this is an issue for you, email hbial@ku.edu to arrange another option.